Saturday, May 16, 2009

Missing Home


Well, its Saturday and today I miss another time and place - my heart is with Grandfather Sitting Bull. He is so precious to me; he inspires me with the wisdom and devotion to All That Is Good he exhibited in the face of such difficulties! I love Sitting Bull. I wish I could sit with him in his tee pee for a long talk...
May the great chief and shaman, Sitting Bull, be blessed wherever he is right now. I send him love and deep appreciation.


TATANKA IYOTAKA
By: ~Anonymous Lakota


Saturday, December 15th, 2002 was the 112th Memorial anniversary of the assassination of Tatanka Iyotaka, more commonly known as Sitting Bull. This inspirational leader was murdered deep within Lakota Nation territory, a vast area encompassing much of the central and northern Great Plains. Tatanka Iyotaka in his day was one of the most influential leaders on the prairie. Today, he is the most recognizable Indian in the world.

Tatanka Iyotaka was not impressed by white society and their version of civilization. He was shocked and saddened to see the number of homeless people living on the streets of American cities. He gave money to hungry white people many times when he was in the large cities.

He counseled his people to be wary of what they accept from white culture. He saw some things which might benefit his people; but cautioned Indian people to accept only those things that were useful to us, and to leave everything else alone. Tatanka Iyotaka was a man of clear vision and pure motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment